Classic Trio is our quick establishing basic brassica blend. The deep tap roots will alleviate compaction, and you will create a mellow seedbed to plant back into.
This mix meets the NRCS standard cover crop requirements for CSP and EQIP Programs in South Dakota and Minnesota.
Drilled Seeding Rate: 8 lbs./acre
Broadcast Seeding Rate: 10 lbs/acre
Need some help? Contact us.
|Cover Crop Radish
|Purple Top Turnip
- Planting Time: Late Summer – Early Fall
- All species can handle light frost without killing and will continue to grow in the fall
- Drilled Seeding Rate: 8 lbs./acre
- Broadcast Seeding Rate: 10 lbs/acre
- Ideal Seed Depth: ½”
Fertility + Weed Control
- If grazing is intended and soil fertility levels are low, consider applying 25-50 lbs/acre of nitrogen at planting to increase total biomass production.
- Plant into a clean, weed-free seed bed
- If weeds are present at planting, consider applying Glyphosate @ 32 oz/acre before or after planting but before crop emergence to control existing weeds.
- If undesired grass weeds emerge after crop emergence, consider applying Select Max @ 9-16 oz/acre when the grasses are 2-4” tall.
Disclaimer: All products and rates were provided by university-based sources and product labels. Always follow label instructions and consult your local chemical dealer and seed dealer before making any applications or planting of the seed.
- Classic Trio can be grazed as soon as there is adequate growth to support livestock.
- Due to high moisture and protein content of the mix, it is best to supplement grazing livestock with free-choice dry hay or straw to provide rumen fill and roughage in the diet.
- All species in the blend should winterkill, so termination is not necessary.
- Almost no residue will be gained from this blend, and it may even cause existing field residue to breakdown quicker.
- Follow normal tillage plan for the following crops. No-tilling after Classic Trio is very effective due to the lack of residue produced.
Every acre is different and our goal is to help you know what works best in your area. This 'Growing Regions' section showcases where this species works best. If you have any questions on product placement, feel free to contact our experts and we will help!